If you’re looking to make the most of the Central Coast, there’s no better way than embracing the physical activity and exercise options available. The physical and mental health benefits of exercise are unbelievable, not to mention the social benefits of meeting new people and being involved with the community.
Originally from the UK, I now live in Terrigal and work as a doctor in the emergency department at Gosford Hospital. I am highly passionate about encouraging people to be more active in the hopes of improving health and happiness.
I’ve started a search engine, http://do-more.live, for physical activity here on the coast and I spend my time in and out of work demonstrating the benefits of exercise. I like to try everything active: CrossFit, yoga, bike hire, local walks, mother & baby classes, scuba diving, surfing, martial arts studios…the list goes on. I’ve connected with the local community, all ages, all inclusive, to showcase everything active there is to offer. I can honestly say I’ve never been happier and healthier, both physically and mentally.
Five reasons to exercise right now:
- Instant mood boost – whether it’s the endorphins or sense of achievement, you’ll feel great!
- You’ll sleep better tonight – exercise has both short-term and long-term benefits on sleep. Put down your melatonin, fight off fatigue and go get moving!
- You’ll improve focus – physical activity improves cognitive function and reduces the risk of dementia…you’re hopefully less worried about the latter right now.
- Everything’s better with exercise – pain scores, physical function and health-related quality of life are all improved with increasing levels of physical activity.
- Be a role model! – When you’re helping your friends, family or clients to lead a healthier lifestyle, they’re much more receptive when you’re no stranger to getting a bit sweaty.
Importance of fuelling your body
Keeping the body fuelled is essential to being able to get the most out of your exercise regime and your life in general.
Working long night shifts in the hospital can make it tricky for me to eat well consistently. Luckily, I was recently introduced to the wonderful, local owners of Activate Foods, Marty and Megan. They also share a passion for health and vitality and can help people to achieve this through their delicious and nutritious meals. I now have a stash of Activate Foods meals on standby in the fridge at the hospital and look forward to enjoying them on my breaks.
If you are time poor like most of us, then Activate Foods might be an ideal solution for you. Activate Foods offers a range of healthy and delicious ready-made meals including Beef & Red Wine served with mashed sweet potato and broccoli, Moroccan Lamb with brown rice and roast pumpkin tossed with parsley and Vegan Wild Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie. There are fresh and frozen options and meals are single serve. All products are gluten free with vegan and vegetarian options available too. All meals are also approved by leading local nutritionist, Nicky Saliba founder of Eatsense.
Nicky and I are also presenting an interactive seminar on Sports Nutrition Fundamentals on
Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 6 PM – 8 PM at Erina which we would love you to attend.
So, let’s all get active and improve the health and wellness of the Central Coast!
Find an activity
Want to become a provider?
Do you provide a physical activity? Register now for free on the directory.